Requisition ID: 7173
Number of Vacancies: 1
Department: Signal/Electrical/Communication (20000051) – Communication Engineering (30000461)
Salary Information: $80,189.20 – $100,245.60
Pay Scale Group: 8SA
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 35, Off Days: Saturday/Sunday Shift: Day
Posted On: May 10, 2023
Last Day to Apply: May 24, 2023
Reports to: Senior Design Engineer (SCADA), Communications
*If you previously applied during the original posting period of April 20, 2023 to April 26, 2023, then you do not need to reapply as all applications will be considered. Thank you.*
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
As an Assistant Designer (SCADA), you will be responsible for providing technical support in the development and maintenance of the TTC’s various SCADA and Control Systems applications. Your main focus will be on assisting different departments and groups that rely on the SCADA and Control Systems and troubleshooting any issues that arise. This includes analyzing and monitoring data, conducting engineering evaluations and tests, and identifying areas for improvement to enhance the safety, productivity, and efficiency of the system. You will also collaborate with other teams to prepare material lists, specifications, standards, and work methods related to the Control Systems. Overall, you will play a critical role in ensuring that the SCADA application is operating at its optimal level and meeting the needs of TTC’s various departments and stakeholders.
Key Job Functions
- Assist with the day to day operations of the TTC SCADA system, including the addition and removal of points, updates to graphical displays, modification of attributes, and changes to users and profiles.
- Modification and design of control systems up to and including field wiring and PLC programming
- Working with both internal and external parties to ensure consistency and coherence of information on SCADA related requests, such that they are in accordance with SCADA design standards.
- Working closely with unionized employees both on site and in the office for the testing and commissioning of devices connected to the TTC SCADA System.
- Liaise with staff of various TTC departments to ensure consistency of information on SCADA related designs. Ensure designs meet TTC’s operating requirements and follow the TTC design manuals and master specifications.
- Provide assistance and coordination to various TTC departments during the construction, installation, and commissioning of new devices connected to the TTC SCADA system.
- Layout and prepare designs and drawings for various projects in accordance with TTC design standards and various codes, Engineers’ notes, rough sketches, verbal instructions and own design concepts.
- Review and interpret existing conditions, drawings, specifications, and material submissions; obtain additional data necessary for the completion of accurate designs, and conformity with TTC master specifications and design manuals.
- Provide design reviews for SCADA elements of external and internal projects through TTC’s Review Routing System, including but not limited to major transit expansion projects.
- Conduct internal locates and requests from the Toronto Public Utility Coordinating Committee (TPUCC) to identify the location of existing TTC infrastructure prior to third party construction and excavation.
- Assess, diagnose, correct, and eliminate non-routine problems and complex failures of the SCADA system including software, hardware, communications, and power related issues. Provide root cause analysis and information on the resolution of the issues.
- Use virtualization software to monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain the TTC SCADA virtual environment.
- Provide direction and guidance to Transit Control and Power Control operators and supervisory staff on the correct use of the TTC SCADA systems.
- Design and implement updated and/or modified SCADA applications and/or features to meet the requirements of various end-users.
- Assemble, prepare and/or review various reports, documentation on inspection visits, and other correspondence related to the work.
- Comply with and ensure all work is performed in a safe and efficient manner during construction; keep abreast of changes to pertinent safety legislation or regulations, and TTC’s safety policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Participate in the TTC’s Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Job functions are expected to change alongside the S/E/C Department’s goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate behaviours that support diversity, inclusion, and a respectful work and service environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Help to remove barriers and accommodate employees and customers (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies
- Audit systems, processes, and products
- Gather information and conduct research
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Apply analytical skills
- Understand and apply relevant laws and regulations
- Plan and organize activities / projects to meet section and organizational goals
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
Education and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline (i.e. Electrical Engineering) or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Certification through PEO or O.A.C.E.T.T is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Wonderware System Platform, or other SCADA software.
- Understanding of design principles, best practices, and common vendors and protocols used in SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of the Ontario Hydro Electric Safety Code, Ontario Building Code, CSA standards and other applicable codes and standards.
- Sound judgement, proven technical design skills; well-developed organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills; effective verbal communication and technical writing skills.
- Familiarity with CADD (preferably Microstation CADD) and other computerized applications applicable to the work (e.g. MS Office, MS Word, Excel etc.).
- Must be able to acquire Subway Rulebook Certification (Internal Training provided upon hiring).
- Occasional requirement to work outside of regular work hours to provide support and guidance to maintenance staff.
The TTC is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, anti-racism and inclusion in the delivery of its services and in its workplaces. The TTC is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities it serves at all levels of the organization, and supports an inclusive environment where diverse employee and community perspectives and experiences bring value to the organization. The TTC encourages applications from all applicants, including members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ(IA+) community. The TTC values and supports an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Accommodations for applicants are available upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process, including for those who identify as having a disability. Please contact Talent Management at (416) 393-4570. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The TTC’s policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to a relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted