Requisition ID: 7756
Number of Vacancies: 1
Department: Engineering (20000108) – Technical Support Management (30000239)
Salary Information: $63,299.60 – $79,060.80
Pay Scale Group: 6SA
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 35 Off Days: Saturday and Sunday Shift: Day
Posted On: May 24, 2023
Last Day to Apply: May 26, 2023
Reports to: Director Technical Support
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
Reporting to the Director-Technical Support this position is responsible for providing administrative and secretarial support to the Director and for providing efficient and effective administrative and office support services for the Engineering Department Technical Support division. The incumbent carries out special assignments as directed; coordinates the preparation of responses to internal and external communication requests; researches information and prepares a variety of correspondence, reports and other material related to the work; and provides guidance and direction to other administrative staff regarding administrative functions, office procedures and corporate policies.
Key Job Functions
- typing a variety of general and confidential correspondence for Director’s signature and for other Senior Management staff, such as letters and memoranda;
• reviewing correspondence that is prepared for the Director to ensure correct formatting, grammar, spelling and continuity of content;
• typing/taking/preparing a variety of technical correspondence, such as minutes, agendas, transmittals, faxes, Work Plan Release Initiations, Employee Performance Appraisals and Staff Summary Sheets, etc., which may involve compiling and/or verifying information, preparing drafts and proof-reading for accuracy, grammar, punctuation, etc. in accordance with department and corporate standards;
• coordinating the preparation and typing of Board Reports and tracking same to ensure that Agenda closing deadlines are met;
• coordinating the preparation, typing, publishing online and delivery of the monthly Engineering Progress Report and coordinating inputs for the Chief Capital Officer reports;
• tracking expenditures, authorizations and status of consultant services contracts and summarizing supporting information for Certificates of Payment prior to approval by Director;
• tracking critical documents through approval stages, such as Board Reports, Purchase Order Amendment Authorizations, Purchase Authorizations, Staff Summary Sheets, Certificates of Payment, Work Plan Release Initiations, Work Order Releases, etc;
• reviewing internal and external correspondence, highlighting and bringing forward issues of importance for Director’s review;
• assisting in the budget process by coordinating the preparation and typing of Project Summary Reports, Project Justifications, and Budget Schedules and preparing presentation slides and maintaining a file of same;
• tracking vacation allotments, timesheet submissions, overtime/lieu time requests, training requirements, mileage claims for Division staff, in accordance with department and corporate standards;
• coordinating office space and equipment requirements for Division staff;
• preparing slides relating to various projects for presentation at Board meetings, Senior Managers/Executives meetings, Public and Community meetings and meetings with Councillors;
Key Job Functions continued
- maintaining a follow-up and action system for issues requiring responses to letters/memos and other requests by staff;
• composing replies to routine correspondence for the Director’s signature;
• planning and organizing own and SharePoint workflow to ensure most efficient and productive results;
• planning and organizing a daily appointment schedule for the Director to ensure efficient use of time;
• coordinating and arranging internal and external meetings and ensuring all background information is provided to the Director;
• preparing and maintaining complete and current project files using the document control system;
• retrieving and compiling correspondence and/or data relating to specific projects/issues for use by the Director and other senior personnel;
• recording, profiling and sorting incoming/external correspondence and faxes using document control system;
• answering, screening and responding to incoming phone calls, handling requests, enquiries and visitors providing information where possible or referring to appropriate staff for action;
• substituting for the Administrative Assistant in the Head of Engineering’s office and other clerical and administrative support staff as required.
• responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
• candidate will be required to participate in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program.
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Plan and organize activities / projects to meet section and organizational goals
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Understand and apply administrative policies, processes, and procedures
- Apply analytical skills
Education and Experience
- Requires several years of experience in office administration, and familiarity with engineering and architectural design terminology. Completion of a post-secondary program in office administration, or any combination of training, education and experience deemed equivalent is also required.
- Sound knowledge of business administration concepts and practices;
• Sound knowledge of modern office methods, procedures, practices and equipment;
• Good knowledge of research methodology and techniques;
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and software applications relevant to the work (i.e. Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, Acrobat Reader, PowerPoint), and excellent keyboarding skills;
• Sound judgement; excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills that include an excellent knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling;
• Strong organizational skills, and the ability to handle several responsibilities at once under minimal supervision, meet deadlines, and produce high volume, quality work;
• Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
The TTC is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, anti-racism and inclusion in the delivery of its services and in its workplaces. The TTC is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities it serves at all levels of the organization, and supports an inclusive environment where diverse employee and community perspectives and experiences bring value to the organization. The TTC encourages applications from all applicants, including members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ(IA+) community. The TTC values and supports an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Accommodations for applicants are available upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process, including for those who identify as having a disability. Please contact Talent Management at (416) 393-4570. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The TTC’s policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to a relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted.